New Marker:
Green Valley Pharmacy

New Marker:
Green Valley Pharmacy

On Saturday, November 8, Arlington County unveiled its newest historical marker honoring Leonard “Doc” Muse and the Green Valley Pharmacy, which he has operated since 1952.

Green Valley Pharmacy is Arlington’s first African-American owned and operated pharmacy. When Green Valley Pharmacy first opened, no other pharmacies in Arlington welcomed the African-American community. At Green Valley Pharmacy, customers could not only get their prescriptions filled, they could dine at the pharmacy’s counter, where breakfast, lunch, dinner and an array of ice cream desserts were served. For further details check out the Arlington County Press Release.

In January 2013, the Arlington County Board designated the Green Valley Pharmacy a local historic district and was featured in Preservation Arlington’s 2004 “Saved” List.

County Historic Preservation Program Director with Doc Muse and others from Green Valley Pharmacy.
Doc Muse, second from right, along with County Historic Preservation Program Director Cynthia Liccese-Torres, second from left, and two other community members.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *