2022 End of Year Demo Report
In the last 14 years, almost 2100 single family homes have been demolished in Arlington. 2022, with 174 demolition, ranks as the 4th highest total county since 2009 (when Preservation Arlington began tracking demolitions). In recent years the value of the homes being demolished has skyrocketed with $63 million worth of homes demolished this year.
The big news for 2022 is:
- 51 homes were purchased for over $1 million and then demolished — almost DOUBLE the 2021 county of 21 homes.
- Seven of these were sold for over $1.5 million
- 95% of the sales over $1 million were speculative purchases by developers
- Nineteen of these homes over $1 million are located in one of Arlington’s National Register Historic Districts.
- These demolished homes sold for a total over $63 million.
- 174 homes demolished
- 148 in North Arlington
- 26 in South Arlington
- 54 in National Register Historic Districts
- 65% were purchased by developers for speculative development
- 5 Commercial properties
- 3 Garden Apartment buildings comprising one complex
- 1 Civic/community buildings