In September there were a total of eight demolition permits applied for in Arlington County. All of them were for single family homes. Six of them are located in North Arlington and two in South Arlington. 66% (6 of 9) of the applications are speculative developments. September applications range greatly from 21 (2014) to 11 (2019).
Four of the homes are located in the National Register Historic district.
- 4042 21st Street North is in the Cherrydale National Register Historic District
- 2104 South Joyce Street is in the Aurora Highlands National Register Historic District
- 2600 1st Road North is in the Lyon Park National Register Historic District
- 5936 15th Street North is in the Highland Park/Overlee Knoll National Register Historic District
Totals for 2020
– 25 are located in National Register Historic Districts
– 58 are speculative developments (owned by developers)
Garden Apartments: 0
Commercial Buildings: 1
Other Structures: 1
Civic Buildings: 2
The pending demolition of these homes and buildings represents a loss of history, architecture, time, energy, and materials. Many had the potential for renovation and additions or, at a bare minimum, reclamation/reuse of building materials. These buildings are often replaced with new construction that is out of scale and proportion to the community. Preservation Arlington urges citizens to adopt Local Historic District designations for their communities, with standards for design, height, and placement that could be customized to reflect community needs while still allowing reinvestment to occur.